The Whendee Silver Lab Fund
Dr. Whendee Silver is the Rudy Grah Chair and Professor of Ecosystem Ecology and Biogeochemistry in the Department of Environmental Science, Policy, and Management at U.C. Berkeley. The Silver Lab seeks to determine the biogeochemical effects of climate change and human impacts on the environment, and the potential for mitigating these effects. The Silver Lab is currently working on climate change mitigation potential of working lands, drought and hurricane impacts on tropical forests, and greenhouse gas dynamics and sequestration potential of peatlands and wetlands. Your gift to the Silver Lab helps:
- Determine the potential to repurpose organic waste streams, locally to globally, for composted soil amendments to help support sustainable land use and mitigate climate change.
- Determine the potential to lower global mean surface temperatures through improved land use practices.
- Identify controls on greenhouse gas emissions in working lands and the potential to mitigate those emissions.
- Quantify the effects of hurricanes, droughts, and the combination of hurricanes and drought on tropical forest carbon storage and biogeochemical cycling.
- Determine the controls on agricultural peatland greenhouse gas emissions and the potential to mitigate emissions through management that increases soil carbon sequestration.
- Support the next generation of students and thought leaders.