Arts + Design Initiative
Our country’s status as an economic beacon with vibrant communities depends on the creative capacity of our emerging leaders. Students who develop creativity will become the innovators who will create new possibilities for economic success and solve the world’s wicked problems.
Exposure to and experience with the arts and design enables members of our community to explore their curiosity and take ownership of their own learning. This provides a foundation for deeper self-reflection, critical thinking, and a connection and broader view of the world.
Through the Arts + Design Initiative we will empower every UC Berkeley student to develop the creative competencies to be fully engaged citizens in a rapidly changing world. This is Creativity for the Greater Good. We are making this possible through:
- Innovative multidisciplinary educational programs, including new gateway courses open to all students
- Public programs that bring together the world’s thought leaders, our students and faculty
- Student engagement and arts access programs that elevate students’ exposure to the arts
- New digital platforms to navigate the vast opportunities to plug into the arts and design landscape across the university
- Renewed creative facilities and infrastructure, where students and faculty can have the space for exploration and learning
Learn more at: artsdesign.berkeley.edu
Academic Departments and Schools
UC Berkeley’s arts and design landscape offers a unique context for creative experimentation, profoundly enriched by the scientific and cultural wealth of a world-class research university, and propelled by our historic commitment to equity, public access and social impact.
The campus features a broad range of leading academic departments, museums, presenting organizations, research centers, and student clubs in the arts and design, as well as award-winning faculty and alumni in all creative fields.
A gift to these units will also advance the goals of the campus-wide Arts + Design Initiative:
The Bancroft Library
UC Berkeley Art Museum and Pacific Film Archive (BAMPFA)
UC Botanical Garden at Berkeley
Phoebe A. Hearst Museum of Anthropology
Lawrence Hall of Science
The Magnes Collection of Jewish Art and Life
ASUC Art & Creativity Fund
Student Musical Activities