SafeTREC is a University of California, Berkeley (UCB) research center affiliated with the Institute of Transportation Studies and the School of Public Health. It is home to approximately 15 full-time staff and researchers and 10 to 20 UCB student researchers at any given time. SafeTREC seeks and conducts externally supported research, provides educational courses through the Department of Civil Engineering and the School of Public Health, coordinates major transportation safety programs for the State of California through the Office of Traffic Safety, the California Highway Patrol, and Caltrans, and hosts community-based training programs.
Our research and education focuses on a range of approaches to increase safety on our streets and highways. Some highlights of our work include:
- Research on how pedestrians are able to cross the street more safely, and how to apply best practices to educate communities about safety for pedestrians.
- Analysis of alcohol-involved (DUI) crashes in California and countermeasures to reduce their occurrence.
- Evaluation of railroad crossing crashes with recommendations for safety.
- Examination of automated speed enforcement technologies and their potential role in improving safety.
- Research on how to make future transportation investment decisions that will improve safety.
- Development of methods for correctly identifying sites needing safety improvements.
- A study of risk factors for driveway and parking lot injuries among young children.
SafeTREC’s mission is the reduction of transportation-related injuries and fatalities through research, education, outreach, and community service. Motor vehicle crashes are the number one cause of death for people aged 1-34 in the US—and a major cause of minor and debilitating injuries for all age groups.
Why we appreciate your help….
SafeTREC is entirely funded through grants, contracts, and donations. We actively seek funding from public and private agencies in order to achieve our objectives. SafeTREC also seeks donations at various levels from individuals who share our mission to save lives and reduce injuries. There are numerous factors that may motivate individuals to support SafeTREC.
- Families or friends may choose to honor the loss of a loved one by supporting SafeTREC’s mission.
- Health or transportation professionals, community groups and others may be looking for a measurable way to make an impact on improving the quality of life and reducing the societal and public health costs of transport-related injuries.
- People may be interested in contributing to a worthy cause – and one of the most under-funded major public health challenges facing Americans.
- Foundations may be interested in supporting work in areas for which they don’t have in-house expertise.
- And, of course, UC Berkeley alumni may wish to support a campus research unit that provides education, training, and employment to students at the under-graduate and graduate levels.
How to donate to SafeTREC….
The simplest and quickest way to donate to SafeTREC is by following the instructions of this SafeTREC page of the Give to Cal website. All donations to SafeTREC are tax-deductible.
For more significant or targeted donations to SafeTREC, such as endowing the center, naming the center, supporting fellowships, earmarking a donation to a specific focus area, and the like, please contact SafeTREC Director David Ragland at 510-642-0655 or Co-Director Jill Cooper at 510-643-4259 to discuss different options and gift opportunities for SafeTREC and UC Berkeley.
Thank you for your continued interest in and support of SafeTREC!